Monday, November 19, 2012

Author Interview: UBL


Following Arsenal Soccer Club, owning a car valet business, learning design via online tutorials, and being a marketplace author for just over a month. This week we meet Robert Gouveia (UBL) from ThemeForest, GraphicRiver and CodeCanyon.


If you’re an Envato marketplace author and would like to be interviewed for the blog, head over to this form. We’d love to hear from you.


Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?


I am originally from London but moved to the Midlands – Derby. I have been within the web design trade for roughly 12 years.


I love most sports, but mostly football (soccer) and golf. My passions are Arsenal FC, web design, graphic design and my family. Not in that order mind you. :)


I work from 9am – 5pm officially – 9am – 12am realistically, which I bet a few of you guys know the feeling! I do have Sundays to myself, or should I say for my wife to get me doing house chores. :)


Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?


ThemeForest, GraphicRiver and CodeCanyon


How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?


No it started out as a hobby when owning my car valeting business, but gradually got the experience and the knowledge to take it full-time.


I started with tutorials and websites similar to Tuts+, learning Photoshop and web design. I moved on to learning HTML, CSS and Javascript, and finally learning server-side coding.


12 years later I’m here. :)


Describe your home workspace.


My workspace at home is boring so no photo guys, just a iMac on a desk, stuck in the corner next to my living room TV on the wall.



Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?


I first think about what theme I would like to create… I then jot down what features I would like to incorporate and what market I would want to reach.


I then open Photoshop and start designing. Sometimes I can hit the nail on the head on the first go, others I just upload to my website as freebies. This way I generate traffic to my site for the things I am selling.


After Photoshop I hit the good old text editors. If I’m at work I use Notepad++ and if I’m at home I use Sublime.


What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?


As I have only been selling for just over a month, I feel a little premature to offer my view on here, but in general as long as you research the market you are wanting to hit, your designs are unique and creative you should be able to offer a fantastic portfolio.


What do you do to market your files?


I use Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Forrst and my own website.


What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?


Moot Responsive WordPress Theme



This was my first WordPress theme on ThemeForest, so this will always be up there!


Moot Responsive Html Theme



This was my first HTML theme, and again will always be up there due to this fact.


Stella Studios Responsive WordPress Template



I like this theme because of the style. It’s personal taste and some people will hate it, but for me if I saw this item I would purchase it for myself.


Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?


jonathan01. I even have one of his templates. Some of his designs are clean, crisp and easy to use. His support is good and an all round good author!


What do you do in your spare time?


Spare time? No such thing. When I do get a minute for myself I spend it with the family.







No comments:

Post a Comment